Friday, July 3, 2009

June 29, 2009

Despite the rain and cold, we thoroughly enjoyed Whitehorse. Jim, Sallie and I decided to do a little shopping while Bob was taking his nap. Miraculously, we found the knit shop. Since I am new at this, Sallie and the owner helped me pick out some yarn to make scarves for us. It is a beautiful baby alpaca yarn and very soft. I’ll let you know how it turns out! Next, we stopped at the grocery store. I was very surprised to find you had to deposit a loonie (one dollar coin) to get a grocery cart at the market. Upon returning it, you inserted the key attached to the cart and your loonie was returned. Amazing! That evening Jim and I decided to go out to dinner at the Klondike Ribs and Salmon BBQ. Great atmosphere and great food! It was housed in one of the oldest buildings in town - a bakery from 1900.
After leaving Whitehorse, Jim and I headed north on the Klondike Loop. Our first stop was an RV Park in the Village of Carmacks on the Yukon River. Carmacks was named after George Carmacks who was one of the three prospectors that found a rich deposit of gold in Bonanza Creek. This discovery inspired thousands of would-be prospectors to head north. As we were sitting on the bank of the Yukon River watching the swift current flow by, Jim and I spotted a Violet-Green Swallow. We know this because Jim took several pictures and we were able to check our Sibley Bird Book and make a positive ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment